BRK Capital is a private investment firm, based in Montreal, that invests in global public and private markets across diverse sectors. Investments are made primarily through partnerships with external managers, where the approach is to build meaningful relationships with select partners in whom it has developed a high conviction. The Firm is also active in direct investments and co-investments for increased alpha generation.
BRK Capital offers an entrepreneurial work environment where highly motivated and talented employees have stimulating responsibilities, important growth and development opportunities, and the encouragement to develop innovative solutions that impact the business.
Based in the Firm’s downtown Montreal office, the Associate, Private Markets will report to the President & Chief Investment Officer and will be responsible for assisting in the execution of the Firm’s private markets investment strategy, primarily through the evaluation, due diligence, recommendation, and monitoring of relevant opportunities. The Associate will be supervising one Senior Analyst.
The ideal candidate is a highly versatile investment professional who is inquisitive, resourceful, and proactive.
Some occasional and planned travel will be required.
- Actively contribute to the execution of the Firm’s private markets investment strategy;
- Evaluate specific investment opportunities from diverse business sectors, geographies, and strategies;
- Analyze and prepare investment recommendations primarily for Fund opportunities (and from time to time, Direct and Co-investment opportunities), delineating merits and risks;
- Act as a lead in the development of tools, databases, as well as financial and valuation models to assist in the investment process;
- Establish and maintain relationships with relevant staff of external partners and the investment community;
- Actively contribute to Fund sourcing;
- Analyze market conditions and private equity trends to formulate timely and appropriate investment strategies and recommendations;
- Lead comprehensive research and analysis on potential investments and conduct due diligence, including financial, tax, legal, and accounting;
- Ensure compliance with investment agreements;
- Collaborate with investment managers in the active management of the portfolio;
- Monitor investments and prepare relevant reporting;
- Manage, coach and develop the Senior Analyst.
Qualifications, Skills and Knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or Law;
- Master’s degree, MBA or CFA, CPA, CAIA or CBV designations, assets;
- 5+ years of experience in private markets investing (e.g. Private Equity, Infrastructure, Real Estate), corporate finance, valuation, or M&A;
- Supervisory experience, an asset;
- Extensive knowledge of financial modeling and business valuations, as well as a demonstrated ability to develop tools;
- Relevant knowledge and experience of the fund manager universe;
- Active co-investment or direct private equity deal experience, an asset;
- Excellent business analytical skills;
- Capacity to manage a number of files at once efficiently, autonomously, and with excellent organizational skills;
- Knowledge of macroeconomics and its influence on investments;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Strong capacity to summarize a large quantity of information and data, along with effective presentation skills;
- Solid project management skills;
- Ability to work effectively both independently and with others in a team environment;
- Hard-working, energetic, and able to self-direct in an entrepreneurial environment.