Nova Home Care
Nova Home Care is a community based, not-for-profit organization whose mission is to provide compassionate, high-quality, personalized in-home care to people who are ill or nearing the end of life and the families who support them.
The focus of the organization is essentially twofold:
- Palliative care: This program offers in-home support and comfort to terminally ill patients through specialized nursing care and help with symptom management, including pain control;
- Home support: On a scheduled basis, trained Nova home health aides will help with daily activities such as personal hygiene, physical and mental wellbeing, treatment, medication and other in-home activities. This service is offered to people with chronic illnesses such as Alzheimer’s disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, cancer and frail health.
As a founding branch of the Victorian Order of Nurses, Nova Home Care has been providing in-home care to the Montreal community since 1898.
Nova Home Care is looking for its next Executive Director, a leader who will share the organization’s vision and values and the team’s passion, dedication and empathy in pursuing its mission.
Reporting directly to the Board of Directors, the incumbent will ensure the organization maintains superior standards of excellence and delivers high-quality services in line with the needs of beneficiaries.
The selected candidate will be responsible for providing leadership for the organization’s activities. He/she will supervise operations and administer all human, material and financial services. The incumbent will also strive to raise the visibility of Nova Home Care among various stakeholders (beneficiaries, donors and foundations, government, community organizations, volunteers, etc.) and develop new revenue streams to secure the organization’s long-term viability.
The Executive Director will be supported in his/her role by a team of approximately 25 professionals.
Strategy and leadership
- Develop and ensure the implementation of the organization’s strategic plan and the action plans that stem from it;
- See to it that the decisions and policies adopted by the Board of Directors are fulfilled;
- Advise, inform, communicate and coordinate with the Board and its committees on an ongoing basis;
- Remain attuned to the changing needs of beneficiaries to ensure services remain relevant and consistent with their needs and the needs of their families.
Outreach and funding
- Represent the organization in dealings with various stakeholders to grow its visibility, credibility and brand awareness;
- Put effective and impactful communications plans and tools in place;
- Develop strong relationships and partnerships with target stakeholders (beneficiaries, donors and foundations, government, community organizations, volunteers, etc.);
- Work to raise public and government awareness about the needs and realities of beneficiaries and their families;
- Develop financial strategies to complement existing revenue streams in order to ensure the organization’s financial sustainability;
- Forge ties with high-potential donors, foundations and corporate contacts;
- Foster donor engagement, stewardship and recognition;
- Orchestrate funding efforts and fundraising campaigns.
- Oversee staff recruitment, retention and engagement efforts; conduct performance reviews of direct reports;
- Direct the implementation, oversight and enforcement of the organization’s policies, procedures and practices;
- Ensure the organization complies with all applicable laws, regulations, by-laws and policies;
- Oversee budget planning and tracking; administer the organization’s financial resources in accordance with the guidelines set out by the Board;
- See to it that the necessary reporting and accountability controls and mechanisms are in place;
- Coordinate the production of the annual report and the annual general meeting.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline (preferably business administration or healthcare administration);
- Relevant experience in a managerial role;
- Prior work experience in a nonprofit organization;
- Proven experience working with a board;
- Significant experience in fostering organizational growth, strengthening market position and raising brand awareness;
- Track record of tangible achievements in developing funding strategies and fundraising campaigns;
- Familiarity with the healthcare sector (public healthcare system, laws and regulations, structure, etc.);
- Fluency in written and spoken French and English.
Skills and Knowledge
- Engaging leadership style; proven human-resources and people-management skills combined with a capacity to motivate, build and develop teams;
- Strategic thinking and growth-oriented mindset, with keen insight and strong operational and planning skills;
- Excellent decision-making and prioritization abilities;
- Transparency, sound judgement, managerial courage and sound problem-solving skills;
- A strong communicator with excellent interpersonal skills and a knack for building lasting partnerships.