Addenda Capital is a privately owned investment management firm that aims to add value to institutional and private clients’ portfolios by tailoring its full suite of asset classes to its clients’ needs. Addenda offers a stimulating, positive and open-minded environment where dialogue, collaboration and employee recognition are encouraged. Addenda has a strong commitment to sustainable investing which includes the integration of ESG (Environmental, Social and Governance) matters into all its investments and stewardship activities in order to enhance long-term performance for its clients as well as the promotion of sustainable financial markets.
Addenda Capital actively manages a wide range of asset classes, including fixed income, equities and commercial mortgages, which can be modulated and combined to develop tailored investment solutions that meet the evolving needs of our clients. The firm currently has more than $37 billion in assets under management.
As a leader in sustainable investing in Canada, Addenda Capital seeks to build long-term wealth by putting ESG at the heart of its strategies. It currently manages over $5.25 billion in impact investments, which deliver solid financial returns and measurable societal outcomes.
Addenda Capital has some 140 employees working out of Montreal, Toronto, Guelph and Regina.
Addenda Capital is currently recruiting for the position of Executive Vice-President, Business Development and Client Partnerships to help grow revenues, strengthen its market positioning as a key player in sustainable investing and hone its competitive edge.
Reporting to the President and Chief Executive Officer, the selected candidate will oversee various activities and promote synergies within the four teams under their remit, namely 1) Business Development; 2) Investment Solutions and Product Management; 3) Marketing, Communication and Client Support; and 4) Client Partnerships.
The incumbent will play a pivotal role in developing and implementing the firm’s business development strategy. They will focus on the broader institutional market, including pension funds, endowment funds and foundations, as well as corporate assets. They will also contribute to accelerating the development of private wealth solutions. The Executive Vice-President, Business Development and Client Partnerships, will serve on the Executive Committee and supervise a team of roughly 25 people.
Strategies and leadership
- Be a key member of the executive team and directly influence business priorities and strategies through leadership, strategic analysis and financial expertise;
- Develop strategic plans for the teams reporting to this position; implement the corresponding action plans and ensure they are aligned with those of other teams within the organization;
- Establish and implement key performance indicators (KPIs) to monitor the status of the teams’ objectives and assess their performance;
- Engage teams and empower their performance in terms of quality of service, client satisfaction, sound and prudent risk management, productivity and operational efficiency.
- Establish the direction, priorities and key activities in the business development strategy and corporate plan for Addenda Capital; supervise team efforts to implement and obtain the company’s business objectives;
- Acquire a solid understanding of the business services markets in Canada and the U.S., as well as in-depth insight into the key sectors and competitive positioning of the various firms;
- Promote the leadership role played by Addenda Capital in sustainable investing and leverage the business potential of this unique positioning;
- Present Addenda Capital’s strengths to prospective clients in terms of developing investment and asset management solutions, with a focus on ESG analysis and integration, and impact and transition strategies;
- Deliver a unique client experience to improve retention by developing deeper relationships with existing clients and to attract new business;
- Analyze market data to identify business development opportunities and connect with new prospects;
- Develop and maintain close ties with the investment team to align on a shared view of the company’s value proposition; ensure the effective collaboration between the investment team and the marketing and communications team with regard to the development of promotional tools;
- Remain actively involved in the business community, targeting strategically selected value-added activities to promote the firm’s visibility and reputation.
Investment solutions and product management
- Ensure the designated team works closely with each client to ascertain their specific objectives and needs and build customized solutions around them;
- Contribute to the development, maintenance and delivery of multi-asset solutions for pension funds, insurance companies and other institutional clients;
- Roll out new investment products and vehicles, especially those related to sustainable investing;
- Supervise content development related to thought leadership, including ideation, research and technical analysis in order to guide product positioning;
- Monitor market developments and trends.
- Instil a corporate culture and client-centric approach focused on high-quality service delivery and timely support in order to increase overall client satisfaction;
- Actively support investment professionals and oversee the activities of internal teams responsible for monthly and quarterly reporting, client data integrity and database maintenance;
- Ensure the quality and accuracy of reports;
- Assess clients’ satisfaction in measurable terms and actively seek out their feedback on products and services.
Marketing, communication and customer support
- Identify areas of strategic alignment related to branding, reputation and external communications;
- Boost the company’s brand image, highlighting its leading-edge expertise in sustainable investing, market analysis and investment solution design;
- Implement marketing campaigns and strategies to showcase the company’s products and services in order to set it apart from the competition and strategically position it within the market;
- Build and execute a public relations strategy;
- Develop strategies and content to help promote Addenda Capital’s sustainable investing philosophy on financial markets and raise investor awareness of this aspect;
- Measure outcomes of initiatives and assess the efficiency and effectiveness of strategies in optimizing marketing activities.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, business administration, actuarial studies or another related discipline;
- CFA designation and IIROC registration;
- At least 15 years of relevant experience in the financial services sector, specifically in investing, and at least five years in a senior management role;
- Proven experience in business development and institutional sales strategy;
- Extensive investment knowledge and technical expertise to establish legitimacy and credibility in the eyes of discerning clients;
- Keen interest in and understanding of sustainable investing (ESG, stewardship, impact investments);
- Fluency in written and spoken French and English;
- Availability to travel frequently.
Skills and Knowledge
- Engaging leadership style: ability to inspire, instil confidence and forge collaborative relationships;
- Excellent interpersonal and people skills; self-motivated and self-directed;
- Well-established sales and business development skills;
- Proven track record of implementing a client-centric culture;
- Performance-based approach and demonstrated ability to achieve and exceed targets;
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) and a strong customer service mindset;
- Highly effective persuasive and negotiation skills in dealing with current and prospective clients, executives, influencers and consultants;
- Strategic insight into the investment market ecosystem, key players and competitive landscape;
- Well known and respected for commitment to strict professional ethics;
- Ability to work in an environment characterized by its fast pace and infectious level of energy at every level of the organization;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities at once while maintaining a high level of professionalism.