EDC is Canada’s export credit agency, offering information, knowledge, and innovative commercial solutions to help Canadian exporters and investors expand their international business. EDC takes on risk so Canadian businesses can take on the world.
EDC helps Canadian companies bring their vision, passion and innovation to the global marketplace. The knowledge and expertise of its employees support more than 25,000 Canadian companies and their customers in as many as 200 markets worldwide.
Year after year, EDC has been recognized as a Top 100 and Top Family-Friendly Employer. Its employees know that they’re making a difference every day, for companies, for Canada and for the people they work with. They work shoulder-to-shoulder with the best and brightest in an inclusive, collaborative environment that fosters professional development and success.
The Vice President, Digital Platform Delivery and Architecture (DPDA) is a senior-level role reporting to the CIO, responsible for overseeing teams of software engineers, architecture owners, DevOps engineers and providing leadership, vision and direction for the digital platform delivery and architecture organization. This position is responsible for recruiting, developing, and retaining talent, as well as ensuring the software engineering staff has the skills and capabilities to meet business needs. Working in partnership with the business sponsors, the Vice President, DPDA also supports his/her teams in the successful implementation digital initiatives and is responsible for championing best practices and ensuring initiatives achieve business outcomes.
The Vice President, DPDA is accountable for the operations, support, and evolution of all the software solutions leveraged by the organization. EDC is going through a major modernization effort of its business solutions and as such, the Vice President will be instrumental in the definition of the strategy and its execution, working alongside the CIO Office function, his/her technology peers, external partners, and the business leaders.
As a key member of the senior IT leadership team, this role contributes to the development and execution of the enterprise-wide IT strategy and is responsible for ensuring strategy is fully aligned, positioning his/her organization to deliver compelling business value.
This position could be performed in Ottawa, Montreal, or Toronto. Relocation assistance is available for eligible candidates as the working model is a hybrid that combines both remote and in-person work.
Leadership and Strategy Responsibilities
- Lead the Digital Platform Delivery and Architecture organization to successful delivery of business outcomes;
- Set the mission, vision, and value delivery strategy of the organization to maximize the success of business and IT enterprise initiatives;
- Provide platform thought leadership, vision, and direction for the organization in selecting the right digital capabilities to execute on its long-term aspirations;
- Build strong working relationships with business leaders to ensure software engineering teams meet expectations and contribute to the achievement of business goals;
- Collaborate with IT and business leaders to develop short- and long-term strategic plans;
- Support and facilitate innovative and experimental software development and platform integration work to test new ideas, within bounded cost and time frames;
- Support the CIO by implementing solutions that align to the enterprise architecture framework and roadmap;
- Serve on IT planning and policymaking committees; drive the development and adoption of enterprise technology standards, governance processes, and performance metrics;
- Continuously evaluate the business value of the organization, including the use of metrics such as Key Performance Indicators, Outcome Driven Metrics and Objectives and Key Results;
- Manage the Digital Platform Delivery and Architecture budget, with ongoing focus on personnel, vendor, and capital expenditures;
- Collaborate with peer IT Leaders to ensure knowledge and insight can be freely shared.
Talent Management Responsibilities
- Develop workforce strategy to meet the organization’s current and future software engineering needs through developing, hiring, and/or sourcing talent;
- Partner with Human Resources to create learning and development opportunities aligned to the organization’s skill and capability needs, and to provide rewarding career paths for software engineering staff;
- Build a culture that supports learning, collaboration, transparency, and inclusiveness;
- Manage employee engagement and promote a compelling employee value proposition to retain software engineering staff.
Responsibilities for Software Engineering Activities
- Champion best practices and modern software development methods and tools;
- Lead software engineering teams and other stakeholders to set goals for improving code quality, maintainability, security, and scalability. Monitor progress against these goals;
- Manage collaboration with Infrastructure and Operations to ensure software performs well in production and meets SLAs;
- Work with the Chief Information Security Officer to ensure software is effectively secured and that risks are mitigated;
- In collaboration with procurement and vendor management function, oversee management of relationships with consultants, vendors, and contractors and support negotiation of statements of work and business terms with suppliers.
Skills, Knowledge and Qualifications
- Undergraduate degree in related discipline;
- Minimum of 15 years of experience in digital or IT roles;
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in a leadership position managing high-performing teams capable of maximizing the impact of technology and digital value creation and adoption of new and emerging technologies;
- Proven experience to deliver value at scale with external partners and/or integrators and evolve workforce accordingly;
- Experience in large modernization or transformation program in a leadership role;
- Forward-thinking leader with a proven track record of successfully bringing next generation products, services, and technologies to the enterprise;
- Effective communication skills to translate complex documents and technical matters to stakeholders and non-technical staff;
- In-depth understanding of budget preparation and business planning;
- Solid understanding of data analysis, budgeting, and business operations;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving capabilities;
- Experience in managing technology operations teams in a medium or large organization;
- Demonstrate capability and experience at managing multiple vendors and partners to support software engineering teams;
- Bilingual in both official languages.