Addenda Capital is a privately owned investment management firm that aims to add value to institutional and private clients’ portfolios by tailoring its full suite of asset classes to its clients’ needs. Addenda offers a stimulating, positive and open-minded environment where dialogue, collaboration and employee recognition are encouraged. Addenda has a strong commitment to sustainable investing which includes the integration of ESG (Environmental, Social and Governance) matters into all its investments and stewardship activities in order to enhance long-term performance for its clients as well as the promotion of sustainable financial markets.
Addenda Capital actively manages a wide range of asset classes, including fixed income, equities and commercial mortgages, which can be modulated and combined to develop tailored investment solutions that meet the evolving needs of our clients. The firm currently has more than $37 billion in assets under management.
As a leader in sustainable investing in Canada, Addenda Capital seeks to build long-term wealth by putting ESG at the heart of its strategies. It currently manages over $5.25 billion in impact investments, which deliver solid financial returns and measurable societal outcomes.
Addenda Capital has some 140 employees working out of Montreal, Toronto, Guelph and Regina.
Addenda Capital is seeking a Vice President, Sustainable Investing to further develop the organization’s sustainable investing vision as a leading Canadian player in this area.
Reporting to the President and CEO, the incumbent will be responsible for orchestrating an authentic and holistic approach to the four (4) pillars of sustainable investing at Addenda, namely the integration of ESG factors into investment decisions, corporate stewardship, qualification of securities for impact and climate transition investing, and the promotion of sustainable capital markets.
This position will be based in a city that is already home to one of our business locations (Guelph, Montreal, Regina and Toronto). The successful candidate will directly manage a growing team of 3 people, and work closely with executives, investment managers and service managers at all levels.
- Evolve the sustainable investing strategy in terms of objectives and actions, consistent with the strategic plan and in line with national and international regulatory requirements and standards.
- Work with different investment teams, portfolio managers and research analysts across various asset classes to support them in integrating ESG considerations into their investment processes and to leverage existing sustainability resources for investment management and risk measurement;
- Work closely with the majority shareholder, The Co-operators, to develop and promote sustainable investment initiatives and solutions that meet the needs of insurers.
- Oversee efforts to ensure Addenda fully meets its stewardship responsibilities, including:
- Determination of annual focus areas;
- Revision of proxy voting guidelines and the execution of votes in conformity with the guidelines;
- Communications with investment teams, issuers (equities and debt) and other stakeholders.
- Develop and oversee impact focus areas;
- Manage and oversee securities qualification, as well as measurement and reporting.
Promoting Sustainable Capital Markets
- Develop, establish and maintain successful long-term business relationships with various national and international stakeholders and clients;
- Help position Addenda as a respected and trusted source of opinions as a committed sustainable investor.
- University degree in finance, sustainability or other relevant field;
- Hold the CFA designation and strong knowledge of capital markets;
- 10 to 15 years of investment experience, including at least 5 years in a sustainable investment management role;
- Preferably bilingual in French and English, both verbal and written;
- Availability for frequent business travel.
Skills and Knowledge
- Established expertise in capital markets and sustainable investing;
- Demonstrated expertise in working with a variety of sustainable investment frameworks, including Sustainable Accounting Standards Board (SASB), TCFD, Green Bond Principles and Social Bond Principles;
- Demonstrated experience and ability to work with investment professionals and external stakeholders on a wide range of impact, sustainability and ESG topics;
- Proven success in leading strategic initiatives and developing creative solutions;
- Strategic and mobilizing leadership as well as excellent political and influencing skills;
- Proven ability to quickly create impact, gain trust of colleagues and influence outcomes;
- Demonstrated abilities to engage in a collaborative, cross-functional organizational structure;
- Strong oral and written communication skills to logically and concisely articulate complex issues to stakeholders of all experience levels and backgrounds;
- Strategic reading of the environment, trends, ESG developments and key players in sustainable investing;
- Strong professional ethics;
- Knowledge of or experience with private markets considered an asset.