Walter Capital Management
Walter Capital Management (the “Group”) is an investment firm grounded in family values and whose talented teams and seasoned investment experts administer a sizeable portfolio of internally managed assets.
Guided by an entrepreneurial spirit passed down from generation to generation, the Group embraces a dynamic approach rooted in a solid, long-term investment philosophy. The Group’s teams bring passion to everything they do and are committed to building partnerships based on trust, integrity, respect and fairness.
The Group has leveraged its long and impressive track record in the investment field to transform from a family office to a full-fledged, well-respected investment and asset management firm with substantial third-party capital.
Working for Walter Capital Management means joining forces with a fast-growing, dynamic and inclusive group of professionals who enjoy what they do. It is a unique opportunity to pursue a rewarding career in the investment field, alongside a highly qualified and dedicated team in a work environment where people are respected and appreciated for the expertise they bring to the table.
The Vice President, Finance, will report directly to the Chief Financial Officer. This is a new position that has been created to support the ongoing growth of the investment and asset management firm.
This position requires strategic vision, a pragmatic mindset, strong leadership skills and the ability to be a true business partner, all of which will be leveraged to foster the growth of the investment and asset management units. The successful candidate will be a people person with high-level mentoring skills that will be put to good use to enhance the professional development of an experienced and driven accounting team.
Given the Group’s ongoing growth and its openness to new ideas, this represents an unrivalled opportunity for a talented candidate to capitalize on their experience in order to craft their own role in line with their specific abilities and interests. In all likelihood, the person in this position will be groomed to eventually succeed the Chief Financial Officer.
- Serve as the strategic partner of the Chief Financial Officer and the heads of the investment units, working with multiple teams to convey a wide range of knowledge and facilitate financial decision-making;
- Jointly with the Chief Financial Officer, play a key role in the development of strategic plans and track the budget for the underlying initiatives;
- Work closely with the Corporate Controller to assume overall responsibility for and supervise general accounting operations and FP&A, including month-end, quarterly and year-end reporting and consolidated financial statements;
- In collaboration with the business units, develop reports used to update external clients on a regular basis;
- Assist the business units in determining optimal financial models for investment projects;
- Lead, manage and engage a growing team of accounting professionals; facilitate access to appealing and rewarding advancement opportunities;
- Oversee the annual budgeting process; supervise and analyze financial reporting; ensure adherence to established budgets, analyzing variations in order to identify cost-related issues and trends;
- Help prepare for external audits and ensure the resulting recommendations are implemented;
- See to it that all tax-related obligations and requirements are met by the corresponding organizational entities and third-party investors, as applicable;
- Ensure the appropriate internal controls are in place;
- Design, develop and implement relevant KPIs for an investment firm;
- Collaborate with investment unit heads to present high-quality reports to third-party investors;
- Identify opportunities where operational improvements can be made; put forward the corresponding recommendations and oversee implementation;
- Contribute to producing reports for shareholders and advisory board meetings;
- Take part in implementing initiatives aimed at rolling out integrated systems.
- Degree in accounting, finance, business administration or another relevant discipline;
- Ten or more years of experience in a similar position (experience in private placements or asset management, preferred);
- Professional designation (CPA, CFA, etc.);
- Experience working in a fast-growing and fast-changing environment;
- Experience in implementing and integrating ERP systems;
- Experience in implementing IFRS accounting standards;
- Experience in delivering board presentations;
- Experience with financing deals, an asset.
Skills and Knowledge
- Excellent communication, analytical and influencing skills;
- Superior ability to concisely summarize and present financial information; thoroughness in dealing with data;
- Solid leadership skills and ability to oversee a team of professionals;
- Strong knack for navigating interpersonal relationships, building trust and maintaining a positive work environment;
- Collaborative service and results-based approach;
- Keen ability to set and follow priorities, manage time and projects, and multitask effectively;
- Pragmatic and strategic thinking;
- Willingness to roll up one’s sleeves and contribute to tasks big and small, as needed;
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word);
- Fully fluent in written and spoken French and English.